Connect with us

Politics

Other aspirants claim primary didn’t hold as Uba emerges Anambra APC candidate

Published

on

The emergence of Senator Andy Uba as the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Anambra State November 6 governorship poll has created reactions.

The Chairman of the APC primary election panel and Governor of Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun, announced the outcome of the poll at Golden Tulip Hotel, Agulu Lake, Awka, on Sunday.

Abiodun said Uba emerged the winner with 230, 201 votes while his closest rival, Johnbosco Onunkwo polled a total of 28, 746 votes.

He said 348, 490, votes were cast in the primary election.

However, the Minister of Labour and Employment  said the primary election did not hold. He proposed June 29 for the election to hold.

Eleven aspirants out of the 14 governorship aspirants of the party had also on Saturday said the governorship primary did not hold.

The spokesperson for the aspirants, George Moghalu, stated this at a press conference in Awka, the Anambra State capital

Moghalu said in all the 326 electoral wards of the state, delegates came out to vote, but that none of the APC team in charge of conducting the primary and the Independent National Electoral Commission officials was seen.

He said, “Anybody who claimed that there was primary is fraudulent and does not wish APC well in the November 6 election.”

He appealed to the party’s leadership to come up with a fresh date for the primary to ensure that the party beat the deadline set by the Electoral Act.

Other aspirants who kicked against the conduct of the APC primary election were Johnbosco Onunkwo, Ben Etiaba, Amobi Nwaokafor, Chidozie Nwankwo, Geoffo Onyjegbu, Azuka Okwuosa, among others.

A statement by the Publicity Secretary of APC in Anambra State, Okelo Madukaife, dissociated itself from the primary election

The statement read, “Our attention has been drawn to a set of figures circulating on the internet without signature or attribution and purported to be Anambra APC primaries results.

“The figures do not owe to Anambra State APC Primaries which did not hold and for which we look forward to the Caretaker National Executive of our great party to choose a new date within INEC timetable.

“The leader of our great party in Anambra State and Minister of Labour & Employment, Sen (Dr.) Chris Nwabueze Ngige has proposed Tuesday, June 29, 2021, for the primary to hold, and we recommend that it should be considered.

“In the time being, the figures should be discarded and discountenanced as they are figments of fertile imagination, with the potential of being fatal.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Politics

9/11: Biden surrendered in defeat, Trump on US withdrawing from Afghan

Published

on

Former US President Donald Trump has slammed the “horrible” withdrawal from Afghanistan and the “incompetence” of Joe Biden’s administration during the frenzied end to America’s longest war.

Speaking during the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attack in the US, Trump said it was a horrible thing that took place.

“It looked like we retreated, it looked like we gave up. Like, they use the word surrender,” he also told officers at the precinct, referring to the final withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan last month following the Taliban takeover of the country.

“And we didn’t surrender, our people didn’t surrender and our soldiers sure as hell didn’t surrender,” he said.

The US military intervention in Afghanistan began in late 2001 in the wake of Al-Qaeda’s attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon outside the US capital.

Al-Qaeda had been sheltering in Taliban-held Afghanistan, and the US invasion toppled the extremist regime in a bid to find Al-Qaeda’s leaders.

But the Taliban launched an insurgency and came back to power last month.

As a president, Trump brokered a deal with the Taliban in February 2020 that would have seen all US troops out by May 2021 in return for security guarantees from the insurgents.

But it was his successor Biden who carried out the withdrawal, moving the date back to August 31 but lifting all conditions.

The Taliban captured Kabul and the Afghan government collapsed on August 15, giving the US and its allies two weeks to conduct one of the biggest airlifts in history.

Earlier on Saturday, Trump also released a video message calling September 11 a “very sad day” and again slammed the Afghan withdrawal.

He blamed “bad planning, incredible weakness, and leaders who truly didn’t understand what was happening.”

“Joe Biden and his inept administration surrendered in defeat,” Trump said in the message.

Continue Reading

Politics

Gov Matawalle sends strong message to bandits

Published

on

Governor of Zamfara State, Bello Matawalle, says that his government is no longer interested in having a dialogue with bandits.

While speaking to a congregation in Gusau, Matawalle said that security forces would flush them out of the state.

“My administration will no longer grant amnesty to bandits as they have failed to embrace the peace initiative earlier extended to them,’’ the governor said.

He urged residents to be patient and to support new security measures put in place to flush out bandits and their collaborators to restore peace in the state.

The governor said the barrage of attacks on bandits by security forces had made them to make a fresh overture to government seeking dialogue.

He said the bandits’ emissaries informed him that they had repented and would want to dialogue with government.

He noted that some of the bandits were running out of Zamfara to other states as a result of the new security measures introduced by the state government.

Matawalle warned politicians against giving any form of support to bandits, stressing that: “politicians should fear God and stop buying motorcycles to distribute to people who, in turn, sell to bandits to perpetuate their evil acts.’’

The governor said also that Zamfara government would prosecute any politician caught in the act.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Afghanistan: Taliban now has new leader

Published

on

The Taliban announced Mullah Mohammad Hasan Akhund as the leader of their new government in Afghanistan on Tuesday.

Chief spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid also told a press conference that Taliban co-founder Abdul Ghani Baradar will be the deputy leader.

Two senior figures in the Haqqani Network, a US-designated terror group aligned with the Taliban and al Qaeda, will be in in the interim government. Both have been sanctioned by the United Nations and the US.

Sirajuddin Haqqani, the network’s leader, will be the acting interior minister. Haqqani has been one of two deputy leaders of the Taliban since 2016 and has a $10 million US bounty on his head. Khalil Haqqani, Sirajuddin’s uncle, was appointed as acting minister for refugees. Two other members of the Haqqani clan were also named to positions in the interim government.

The other deputy leader of the Taliban, Mullah Yaqoob, has become acting minister of defense. Yaqoob is the son of Mullah Omar, the founder of the Taliban.

Continue Reading

Trending